Navigation Menu
Park Plaza and Park Palace

Park Plaza and Park Palace

By on Aug 13, 2013 in Uncategorized | 0 comments

While today this building is a house of worship,  from the 1920s to the early 1960s,  New Yorkers came to Park Plaza to dance, arriving from all over the city to rhumba, mambo, and cha-cha-cha. As Jewish and Italian East Harlem slowly gave way to Puerto Rican El Barrio, the Palace was reborn as the “birthplace of New York Latin dance music.” The main,...

Read More
Alice Neel Residence

Alice Neel Residence

By on Aug 13, 2013 in Uncategorized | 0 comments

Alice Neel (1900-1984), considered one of the great american portrait painters of the 20th century,  lived and worked in East Harlem during a formative period in her career. Already an accomplished painter in the W.P.A, Neel moved from Greenwich Village to East harlem in 1938.  That first year, she lived at 8 east 107th street with her lover,  Jose Santiago Negron,...

Read More
Stickball Hall of Fame  230 East 123rd Street

Stickball Hall of Fame 230 East 123rd Street

By on Aug 13, 2013 in Uncategorized | 0 comments

In 2013,  Carlos Diaz, a lifelong East Harlem resident, inaugurated The Stickball Community Gallery and Hall of Fame.  This unique storefront museum contains mememorobilia and documentary photos relating to the history of Stickball in New York. Stickball is a modified version of baseball that is played on the streets.  The equipment consists of a broom handle and a...

Read More
Thomas Jefferson Park and Pool

Thomas Jefferson Park and Pool

By on Aug 13, 2013 in Uncategorized | 0 comments

The Thomas Jefferson Pool, one of eleven giant pools opened in city neighborhoods in the 1930s,  is a popular summer destination for swimmers, dippers, and waders. Opened in 1936, and with few renovations since, the pool maintains its historic place in the community as a summer escape .   In the 1930s, the pool  hosted the largest Italian-American community in the...

Read More
Harlem Courthouse

Harlem Courthouse

By on Aug 1, 2013 in Uncategorized | 0 comments

Date Built: 1891-1893 Architect: Thom and Wilson The Harlem Courthouse, located at the corner of East 121st Street and Sylvan Place, is one of the most impressive buildings in East Harlem. This building was built between 1891 and 1893 for use by the Municipal and Magistrate’s Courts, and was said to be one of the City’s earliest county seats. The building...

Read More
Mt. Morris Turkish Baths

Mt. Morris Turkish Baths

By on Jul 23, 2013 in Uncategorized | 0 comments

This establishment was founded in 1898 by a group of Jewish doctors, when Turkish (hot air) baths were an important part of the religious and social traditions of Eastern European Jews. The doctors lived on the upper floors, using the basement as a professional spa. In the 1920s, Finnish immigrant Hugo Koivenon bought the baths and incorporated Finnish features such...

Read More