Built in the 1880s as P.S. 72 (the first full-block school building in the city), this former public school is today known as The Julia de Burgos Latino Cultural Center. Inaugurated 1998, the center is named after the renown poet and journalist, Julia de Burgos, who lived in East Harlem from 1939 until her death in 1953. The conversion of the building into a multi-use cultural center was spearheaded by community activists and the artist collective, El Taller Boricua. The Julia de Burgos Cultural Center features gallery spaces, a 150-seat auditorium, and is home to The Heritage School, Los Pleneros del la 21 and Taller Boricua. The lobby also features a mobile sculpture of Julia de Burgos by the artist Marina Guiterrez.